Exercise #1 - Dispatch job to smartphone app!
Today’s Exercise: Setup the Dispatch 5 beta on your server, create your first job, and assign it to a worker.
Update all of your plugins
Login into your server and go to SiteAdmin > Plugins. Update all plugins. They will show in green when they are updated.
Change to the beta repository
In SiteAdmin > Plugins, click Change URL and select beta.gpsgate.com. If you do not have beta.gpsgate.com in your dropdown, enter beta.gpsgate.com in the section titled NewURL below and hit Enter. You should see beta.gpsgate.com in the Repository URL section. Some plugins may now show in orange, which is OK.
Check your plugin status
To verify your Dispatch plugin status, follow the instructions below.
- If you do NOT have Dispatch in the list of My Plugins, click on Get More Plugins and Install the Dispatch plugin.
- If you have Dispatch in the list of My Plugins, simply update the Dispatch plugin by clicking the Update link.
- After clicking on Update, you will be required to agree to the Terms & Conditions.
If you get an error message about the plugin requiring ‘Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable version 14.0 or greater’ after agreeing to the update, please follow the instructions in the message to continue with the Dispatch plugin installation.
Enable Dispatch in your application(s)
- On your applications list in Applications > Search and Manage, choose the application(s) on your server in which you’d like to complete this exercise.
- Go to Privileges and Features > Plugins > Dispatch and enable all the Dispatch privileges. You can do this to multiple applications using Batch Edit.
- After doing this, click on Save at the bottom of the screen.
Configuring the workspace – adding the Dispatch window
Login to your application as an admin user. This should ensure you have the privileges to do the steps below.
- Go to Windows > Dispatch and after the Dispatch panel shows up, drag-drop it on the screen according to your own preferences. The Dispatch window can also be used as a floating screen.
- Save your workspace modifications by going to Workspace > Save as and enter a name of your preference.
- If you want to reuse this workspace with other users, you can select the Shared option. To learn more about workspaces, click here.
Creating a dispatch user
The admin user needs to create dispatch users (workers). It is recommended to create these workers with user type Dispatch Unit OR make sure that the worker has the _Dispatch Worker role.
To add a new dispatch user:
- Go to the Vehicles Panel and click + New User.
- Select the user type Dispatch unit and fill in the necessary user information.
- Click Save at the end of the user creation process.
Dispatch mobile app setup
Download the Dispatch 5 app on your iOS or Android device by searching for Dispatch GpsGate in the AppStore / Play Store.
Open the Dispatch mobile app and fill in the following information:
- Server URL
For the Server field, you can manually type in the server URL or scan a QR code to autofill it. Your server address may look like “awesometracking.example/ggs” or “192.168.1.82” for example.
To generate a QR code, the admin will use the dropdown in the Dispatch window and select Generate QR Code.
*Note: please contact Support if you receive the error message “Generating a QR code lets you use the quick connect functionality from your workers’ Dispatch apps. Please contact your administrator to enable this feature.” They will supply you with an API key that will allow you to generate QR codes.
Scan this code with your phone’s camera in the Dispatch app after selecting I have a QR code on the login screen.
Sign in using the Dispatch Unit username and password you just created.
After signing in, do NOT quit the Dispatch App.
If a popup window requests that you allow Notifications, click Allow (iOS). Notifications must be turned on/allowed to receive notifications for job updates or assignments.
Creating & Dispatching a Job
- In the Vehicle Tracker application, create a new job in the Dispatch panel by clicking the + Job button
- Fill in the required fields of Name, Location, and Worker. Other fields are optional.
- To dispatch the job immediately to the worker, select ‘Assigned’ as the job state.
- To continue without dispatching the job, leave the job in the default Planned job state.
Job fields descriptions:
Name: The name of the job you are creating.
Notes: Description of the job (optional).
Location: You can write the address of the job or right-click on the map and select Pick Job Location instead. The address availability and format depends directly from your application’s geocoder.
Scheduled: If you input a scheduled date/time for the job, you’ll be able to tell if your dispatcher is early or late for the given task.
Worker: The worker to which the job is assigned.
Job state: The current state of the job. When the job is being created it is always planned by default. Select Assigned if you want to send the job to the worker immediately.
Save/Cancel: Save will save the job with the modifications/details added. Cancel will cancel the job you are creating and not save your work.
Right after the job is saved in the application with the state Assigned, the worker using the mobile app will receive a push notification about the new job. If no notification is received, check the notification settings on your phone and allow Notifications for the Dispatch app.
Congrats! You just completed Exercise 1! The next exercise will walk you through a day’s worth of work: importing jobs, assigning jobs, creating routes, and dispatching jobs to workers.
Have feedback? Join our beta feedback group to shape the ongoing Dispatch development – every week, you’ll get a ‘deep dive’ on a Dispatch feature and a specific feature feedback request. Sign up here.
- Tutorial on plugins
- Dispatch 5 technical blogs on the forum
- Dispatch 5 overview
- Exercise #2 - Complete a day of work in Dispatch!
- Exercise #3 - Optimized routes and smart reporting
Discuss this blog post on the forum please