How to use an image file as a map in GpsGate Server
This guide shows how to use an image file as a map in GpsGate Server.
To use a bitmap image as a map in GpsGate Server you need to convert it to the MapData format. Follow this guide to convert a bitmap image with GpsTools Studio.
MapData consists of several Tiles and one XML-document collected in a folder and is usually the same thing as a Zoom-level when used in GpsGate Server.
- A Tile is a small picture consisting of a 256*256 .PNG-file.
- Download GpsTools Studio here
- Install GpsTools Studio in a Windows’s compatible PC.
- Find and execute GpsTools Studio
- Once the application is running, you need to click in the white area to load an image. Only BMP, GIF, JPG, TIF and PNG are supported.
- Here you have to input some basic data.
- Follow the Scaling Wizard. To know which options and standards might suit your needs better, we recommend you contact your map supplier and set the values according to your regional settings.
You need to select 3 coordinate-points on the map, the further apart they are the better the accuracy will be. For each point, you must enter the scaling coordinates that complies with the selected points.
- Once you have determined the 3 points you will see
then select Save MapLib as in the File menu, and save this file in your computer (you can retrieve your saved settings later if you load this file).
- Select the Export Tiles (for GpsGate Server) in the File menu and save the map to a destination of your choice, preferably the same destination as any other maps you wish to create.
- The Map Data folder you have created should contain numerous tiles in the png format and an XML file. Put the whole folder into the Maps folder in your GpsGate Server installation.
- Now we need to go to Maps > Custom in SiteAdmin to load the new map. Here you need to click in New Map.
Note that each of these folders will be treated as one map in the GpsGate Server GUI and each one of the list here are usually one Zoom-level in a custom map. Meaning when you zoom in and out you will be switching between the different map data folders. Finally, click on Save map. After doing so the map will become available in the Custom list.
- Now you will need to enable the map into your application/s. To do so go to the application Privileges and Features > Maps > _UseMapCustom
- Within the Vehicle Tracker application and if you have enabled the proper rights (roles) to your user, you should be able to choose the new map you’ve just added to your platform.
Discuss this blog post on the forum please