Getting started with your own GpsGate Server installation
In this guide, you can find the necessary steps to have your tracking server running starting from scratch. The guide covers requirements, GpsGate Server and devices installation steps and how to create your first application. If you have a Hosted server, skip to step 4 of Installation steps.
GpsGate Server Requirements
- A static IP address assigned to your computer or server.
- A compatible device. Use the search box to find a proper device for your needs (ex. “Satellite” to find a compatible GPS that supports satellite connectivity).
- GpsGate Server can be installed in any version of Microsoft Windows. We strongly recommend you to install it only in currently supported versions of Windows.
- For larger installations (100 vehicles or more) we recommend to use Windows Server 2008 or higher. Check here for hardware specifications for Windows Servers.
- MySQL 5.5 or higher (recommended), or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or higher.
- For MySQL 5.6 or 5.7 you’ll need to downgrade the MySQL ODBC Connector Driver to the 5.3.4 version. 5.3.6 not yet supported.
- The correspondent router/firewall port forwarding configurations according to your devices specifications (check “Installation steps”).
You need to follow these steps in order to have GpsGate Server installed with trackers reporting to it.
- Install GpsGate Server (video).
- Install your Device Plugins (video).
- Once the installation is done, login to the Site Admin with the site admin user (the one created in the installation wizard) and go to Devices > Listeners and click on test to check the router/firewall ports are correctly configured.
- Configure your device properly to be able to start reporting to the server. Read your device documentation or contact your device manufacturer support if you are not sure how to configure your device (GpsGate do not offer support on devices configurations, though you can find many device setup instructions here).
- Create your first application (video).
- Create your user (video).
- If the device is properly connected to the server you should be able to see it’s status in Yellow Icon or Green Icon in your Vehicle Tracker Application.
- See the GpsGate Server basics (video) to understand the main concepts of the Vehicle Tracker interface.
- Organize your users and vehicles into Tags (video) .
- Now you can start Customizing Your Server according to your specific needs.
|No GPS or NMEA data is detected by GpsGate.|
|Valid GPS data has been detected at the selected input, but the GPS data has no fix, that is it cannot determine its position (yet).|
|A valid GPS position (fix) has been detected at the selected input.|
|Never been seen.|
- GpsGate Server manuals
- Supported Maps and Geocoders
- Configure Gmail as SMTP server
- Enable SMS providers
- Site Admin password reset
- Backup and Restore
Discuss this blog post on the forum please